Fire Sprinkler System Inspection
Did you know that most jurisdictions in New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania require annual inspections of sprinkler systems to be performed to NFPA standards?
Annual Fire Sprinkler Inspections
The NFPA requires that you have an annual fire sprinkler inspection in order to keep your building safe—though they recommend four or more routine inspections to confirm the safety and efficiency of your system. In addition, you should have fire sprinkler inspections every time you:
- Add a backflow preventer or water meter to your building’s plumbing system.
- Significantly change the occupancy, layout, or use of your building.
- Face changes in public water supply, such as a water shortage.
- Make any remodels to your building, such as adding walls, partitions, and additions
Designed to meet a very specific set of conditions, so when changes to your building occur, it is critical that you make sure your system can still perform correctly. The fire safety professionals at Confires can perform a high-quality and productive inspection for your system when appropriate.
Fire Sprinkler Inspection Process
During your fire sprinkler inspection, our trained and experienced professionals will perform a variety of services, including:
- Visually inspecting all sprinkler heads and system piping that are readily viewable and accessible from the floor for proper orientation, support, and clearance.
- Performing main drain tests to verify proper water volume and pressure is available for the sprinkler system and recording the results.
- Lubricating valves.
- Checking alarm and supervisory devices (if they are connected to the building alarm system) to make sure proper annunciation and notification is indicated.
- Testing flow switches by flowing water from the inspector’s test connection.
- Testing tamper switches by exercising the valve through the full range of motion and verifying that signals are received at the fire alarm control panel.
- Checking fire department connections for being unobstructed and having proper caps.
- Checking system gauge calibration date and verifying the water pressure is adequate.
- Checking for proper signage on valves.
- Inspecting spare headbox for the proper inventory of spare sprinkler heads and wrenches.
- Verifying that all valves are in the proper position and sealed or supervised.
- Verifying signals are received at the central monitoring station, if applicable.
Your fire protection inspector will document the results of this fire sprinkler inspection and keep the records for future use.
How to Keep Your Fire Sprinkler Safe Between Inspections
Between fire sprinkler inspections, there are a number of things you can do on your own to keep your fire sprinkler safe:
- Never paint your fire sprinkler heads
- Never hang anything from your sprinkler heads
- Never stack anything within 18 inches of your sprinkler heads
- Always report any damage to your fire sprinkler system to a certified fire protection company
- Always make sure your control valves are in the open position
Call Confires for Fire Sprinkler Inspections
Are you ready to have a professional fire sprinkler inspection completed for your New Jersey area business? The experts at Confires are trained and experienced to inspect and test all kinds of fire sprinkler systems so we can make sure your system is operating safely and efficiently.
Confires has over 40 years of experience providing complete fire protection services for businesses, organizations, government buildings, and restaurants in New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania. Our number one focus is your safety—we want to make sure your employees, property, and valuables are safe from the dangers of potential fires.
We take pride in our “customer first” reputation and will do whatever it takes to make sure your property and valuables are protected from fire hazards and that your building meets fire safety codes. The best thing about partnering with Confires is that we are your single-source solution for all fire protection services.
Our experienced fire safety professionals specialize in all aspects of fire protection, which include: fire pumps, fire hydrants, commercial kitchen fire suppression, fire suppression systems, fire alarms, fire extinguishers, and emergency exit lighting.
Contact our fire protection team online or by phone at 888-228-0917 to schedule your fire sprinkler inspection.
Our Fire Protection Service Area
We service fire protection equipment for businesses throughout New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania.